I hope Lean-into-God is a resource for those who might need a little help in their goal to make time and space for God, or maybe you need a jump start each day. Despite our best efforts, most of us are strapped with responsibilities and harassed by distractions that resist our better judgment. Therefore, some of these daily readings (like Proverbs and some Devotionals) take only a minute to read, but I believe the daily routine is more important than the quantity. Doing the same thing every day, however small, is accumulative. It can have a dramatic impact over time.
LiG started in 2006 as Yukon Angel Productions, my first website. It combined a read the Bible in a year program with my video editing business. Eventually I figured I should separate the two and 9/24/14 I launched Lean-into-God and re-worked Yukon Angel Productions. Hopefully these sites will work on both computers and cell phones. Please let me know when things don’t work, the page and what device you are using.
LiG is based on my personal schedule to read the Bible in a year. My schedule has changed several times, but in 2010 I finally settled on the present schedule. When the same event is described by different authors (the Gospels, Kings, Chronicles, etc.) I place both together so the reader can read the same event from different perspectives. I leave it to the reader to research why there are 'seeming' differences. Otherwise this schedule is very similar to Vernon McGee’s, which I grew up with.
The importance of reading the Bible for yourself cannot be over emphasized. "... the church cannot respond (positively or negatively) to a book of which it has no knowledge. Christ’s promise that his sheep will respond to his voice pertains only to books that have had their voice actually heard by the sheep (John 10:27)." Canon Revisited: Establishing the Origins and Authority of the New Testament Books
Over the years I have added devotionals, books and over 5,000 embedded videos from Carnegie Mellon University, Dallas Theological Seminary, Harvard, Biola University, Vanderbilt University, Princeton Theological Seminary, Gordon–Conwell Theological Seminary, Catholic University, Edinburgh University, Yale and others.
I confess a life long interest in anything Jewish, however, I believe that in and through Christ crucified God substituted himself for me and bore my sins, dying in my place the death I deserved to die, in order that I might be restored to his favor and adopted into his family. For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures, 4 and that he was buried, and that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures, NRSV (1 Co 15:3–5).
I graduated with my Masters in Divinity and Certificate in Spiritual Direction from George Fox Evangelical Seminary in 2008. I have been on staff at the Seminary since January 2009 as a spiritual director. In 2013 I was asked to do additional spiritual direction with PhD Psychology candidates from George Fox University. I often meet directees at the Starbucks in Tualatin near the I-5. (See contact page) I skype and facetime with students and private clients who are out of state.
Daily Reading options
- The Book of Common Prayer: And Administration of the Sacraments and Other Rites and Ceremonies of the Church
- Catholic Lectionary
- Where Do You Lean? (my compilation)
- Complete Jewish Bible : An English Version of the Tanakh (Old Testament) and B'Rit Hadashah (New Testament)
- Morning and Evening: A New Edition of the Classic Devotional Based on The Holy Bible, English Standard Version
Books and starting dates:
- Jan 6 Thomas R. KellyA Testament of Devotion
- Jan 25 N.T. WrightThe Lord and His Prayer
- Feb 1 Thomas A. KempisThe Imitation Of Christ
- Feb 10 John WoolmanThe Journal and Major Essays of John Woolman
- Feb 12 Rabbi Michael Katz - Swimming in the Sea of Talmud: Lessons for Everyday LIving
- Mar 9 C.S. Lewis - The Great Divorce
- Mar 17 Andrew Murray - Absolute Surrender
- May 16 Josephus FlaviusThe War of the Jews: The History of the Destruction of Jerusalem (complete edition, 7 books)
- May 27 Dr. Norman LammThe Shema: Spirituality and Law in Judaism
- June 7 Rabbi Michael Katz - Searching for Meaning in Midrash: Lessons for Everyday Living
- Sept 19 P.T. ForsythThe Soul of Prayer
- Oct 28 C.S. Lewis Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer
- Nov 20 BonhoefferGod Is in the Manger: Reflections on Advent and Christmas
The calendar below will take you to that specific day’s reading and video resources.
I am not a 501. This site is unto the Lord so though I am grateful for donations this site will continue as long as I do.